At Nexmo we’ve made building better developer experiences part of our core mission. We’ve spent the last few years working hard to serve the needs of developers within the PHP community, but we still have some work to do. That’s where you come in.
As a PHP Developer Advocate at Nexmo, you’re tasked with building and maintaining relationships with the people and projects that make up the PHP community. In addition to traveling to events to meet people face to face, you’ll help others by learning, creating, and sharing online or in person. You’ll be the interface between developers and the Nexmo product teams to ensure that Nexmo continues to build products that provide a great developer experience. By demonstrating the benefits of communications APIs and functionality, you’ll inspire others to innovate with them.
- Build and maintain the Nexmo PHP API client library, quick start samples, example apps, and other developer tools in PHP
- Help Nexmo maintain its position as a core part of the PHP community
- Contribute to and provide feedback on APIs, SDKs, documentation, and product functionality through hands-on development, individual opinion, discussions with the developer community, and by organizing and running alpha/beta programs
- Build, open source, and document prototypes to demonstrate using Nexmo APIs in conjunction with complementary technologies
- Represent yourself and Nexmo at Hackathons, on sponsorship booths, and by giving talks and meetups and events
- Provide support via channels such as Twitter, StackOverflow, Slack, and GitHub
- Write blog posts and tutorials, and use social media in order to share knowledge, request feedback, collaborate, and engage with fellow developers
- Support early adopters and key customers with integrations
- Create opportunities for other Nexmo employees to engage with developer communities
- Empathy is one of your core beliefs.It’s essential on our team and in the communities we serve.
- You’re a junior or senior engineer looking to make a switch to developer relations.
- You have a working knowledge of at least one PHP MVC framework (Laravel, Symfony, Zend, etc.)
- You’ve written technical documentation or tutorials for a developer audience.
- You’re comfortable with Git and GitHub (or similar collaborative platform).
- You’re familiar with developer communities and events.
- You’re excited to learn new things and share with others.
- You’re willing and able to travel, sometimes internationally, to speak at events and meetups.
- 3+ years professional development experience in PHP
- Experience in other programming languages
- Previous experience in an advocacy role
- Experience giving technical talks within an organization, at meetups, or at events
- Experience building SDKs
Not an “ideal” candidate? Not a problem! We pride ourselves on making our junior folks into our senior ones, and you’ll have access to some of the best PHP and developer relations mentors along the way. Avoid the confidence gap and apply even if you don’t meet all criteria just yet.