A Nexmo virtual number is a telephone number that is not directly associated with a specific phone. It is programmable, enabling you to create custom call and messaging experiences for your users.
Nexmo offers virtual numbers worldwide so that you can use phone numbers that are in the same locale as your customers or prospects. This maximizes the chances that your calls are answered and your messages are read and responded to.
You can rent new numbers and manage your existing numbers using the Nexmo developer dashboard or Nexmo CLI. The following guides show you how:
- Number Management: Rent, configure and manage your number inventory in the Nexmo Developer Dashboard
- Enable 2FA with a Short Code: Use a short code to verify that your user owns the phone number they have registered for your service with
- Manage Numbers with the Nexmo CLI: Rent, configure and manage your number inventory using the Nexmo CLI
- Setup Event Alerts: Send your users alerts for important events or reminders
- Payments: Manage payments, enable account auto reload, and get balance notifications
If you are a software developer, you can manage your number inventory programmatically. See the API reference and the following code snippets to learn how to use it: